Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Things I appreciate more from the US

1. Immigrants!!!!! I love Immigrants!!!! Immigrants are the reason I can eat a Greek breakfast, Japanese lunch and Ethiopian dinner. You don't know what I'd do for a piece of fresh bread from a La Shish-type Middle Eastern restaurant right now. Immigrants are also the reason you don't see people yelling, staring or taking pictures of foreigners on the street (something I find really annoying here). Last, immigrants are the reason I can talk eloquently about Islam, as well as many other religions are cultures, and frankly it has eased my culture shock. So Arizona, WHATS WRONG WITH YOU?!?! haha

2. 2% milk (I thought it was quite apt to make this #2 haha). I can't find it here. It makes me mad because I only drink 2% because it is DELICIOUS. Oh well, I guess I will have to stick to tea for now.

3. As previously mention, Michigan's particular blend of ethnic food. Its really quite good, and the middle eastern food is much more authentic than the skinny meat-skimpy "kebab" here that is doused in mayonnaise. I hope all of you in Michigan are adventurous enough to eat it.

4. No squat toilets. They really do scare me, haha, and aiming is not something a girl is used to doing.

5. Fluoridated, drinkable tap water. No fear of bowel trauma in the US (unless you're Mexican), just white, shiny teeth.

6. Barbeque ribs. No pork in Indonesia, so no ribs :(. If Indonesians wanted to, they could use beef but I haven't seen it.

7. Makeup. You can buy makeup, but I don't see too many teenagers wearing it, so I've tried to avoid it.

8. No call-to-prayer. This is probably more of a downside of the US for Muslims, but as a non-Muslim, I do enjoy uninterrupted sleep haha.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Since I read this, I was thinking over this whole, not having 2% milk issue. I was wondering, would you like powdered milk? I'm not sure about the taste differences and if they have it in 2% (I've never tried it), but if you would like it, I can definitely send some over (I think you're allowed to send that kind of stuff). Also, if there's anything else, food or non-food related you'd like let me know so I can get a good care package sent over to you. However, I don't think I can send over ribs, sorry. But really, if you want something, just let me know! When I went to Germany to visit my friend, I brought her over 10 boxes of Milk Duds, so unless it's illegal, I'm up to getting it! I'm definitely enjoying reading your posts. It sounds like such an interesting place to visit. I hope you're having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to jennie:

    omg! that would be awesommeeeeeee!!! i'd love to try it, I could really use some 2% right now haha

    ReplyDelete