Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Eliza Gets Lost: The Sequel

My oh my. Yesterday certainly was something. If you don't already know this about me, I love to crochet, so much so that while crocheting at school yesterday, I ran out of yarn. So, I planned a trip to a cafe (Reading Lights) that sells yarn and, in general, has a relaxing atmosphere. At school, I consulted my Angkot-expert friends as to correct route to take. This happened to be the place I got lost trying to get to before by angkot, so I was extra viligilant and even had some schoolmates tell the angkot driver where I was going. Guess what? I still got lost haha. This time I wasn't as far away though, so I just retraced my steps, asked people for the street I was looking for, and I found it. That did me no good because Reading Lights turns out to be closed on Mondays. You can imagine after a 3 or 4 block walk, a sweaty angkot ride, and hours of school, did not want to find out that instead of collapsing into a cushy couch with a drink and a ball of yarn, I had to take another sweaty angkot back to somewhere I knew. None the less, I took a trip to McDonalds (not my favorite place, but I knew where it was haha) and met Ricarda after I ordered two huge pieces of chicken, fries, an ice cream sundae, and a Teh Botol (this means bottled tea, and ironically came in a box that day haha). We ended up taking ojek to a local mall, bought maps, found out 30 minute massages cost about $2 and ate at J. Co (OMG, I LOOOVE THAT PLACE). However, if our way back was a movie, it would be named “Eliza Gets Lost the Sequal: Eliza and Ricarda Get Lost together.” We decide to take the Angkot back to Ricarda's house first, then send me on my angkot. We climb on Ricarda's white angkot and ride for about a half an hour until I think this is taking way too long, this can't be a very direct route. I tell Ricarda and she assures me, it just takes a long time to get to her house from the mall. About ten or twenty minutes later I start seeing landmarks on my route home. “um, Ricarda, I think we're on the wrong angkot because we're closer to my house now than yours.” I tell her. “Oh my god are you sure?! We must have taken the wrong direction!” Ricarda replies. We stop the bus and start walking hoping to find an Ojeg station. It was a good thing that we got lost on this bus and not another because it was already dark and while we eventually found someone who directed Ricarda to the right place, I didn't need directions, since I was close enough I could just hop on my regular bus. On the way home I chatted with another SMAN 3 student almost entirely in Bahasa Indonesia, I was quite proud haha.

4 comments:

  1. I heard that you live in bandung, indonesia now for afs program. I have plan to move to Indonesia. Do you feel comfort to study in public school there? How about the people? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Anonymous: At this point, I love Indonesia, especially Bandung because there is so much to do in this city. Public school is a little hard for me because I only speak a little Bahasa Indonesia, so most of the time I only have a vague idea what is going on in class. it is very boring for me haha. The nice thing about public school here is no one seems to care how hard you try or how much you come to class except for you and your parents. So its not too big a deal if you skip class or don't pay attention like it was for me in the United States. The people are very friendly and many people speak english, although it is better to speak in bahasa indonesia to them. Almost anyone you ask will help you even if it means taking hours out of their day. The only problems I have experienced with the people here are that they don't always tell you what is going on and that I get a lot of attention because I am white. I don't know what race you are, but if you are white, you are bound to have people on the street yelling at you, staring at you, taking pictures of you. It can be overwhelming. If you are east asian, south asian or even latino I'm sure you will fit in fine...I'm not sure what will happen if you are black though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha then let me know if you two need help or get lost, maybe I could give a hand, mungkin aku bisa bantu :D HAHAHA funny, you write a lot el, but very good one ! bagus sekali eliza milleeer ! :D
    *agung

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time I get lost...Kalau aku harus bantu, aku akan tanya kamu :). Terima Kasih by the way :D

    ReplyDelete